4/20/2008

Vegas Sunday


I really like the MGM poker room.
"Mike" the poker room manager always
got us seated quickly, no waiting, very friendly
dealers who work quickly, have good control
of the game and are very competent overall.
Good action at the tables I played at.
Decent play overall with enough weak players
to make it worthwhile.

Unfortunately I wasn’t running well enough
to take all their money. I was playing well,
my reads were really good, the cards were
just not working for me.

I was on the wrong side of 'set over set' 3 times
during this session. Was able to fold 2 of them
because of good reads (thank you Joe Navarro
– see Caesars Palace entry) and on the 3rd one,
I only had to pay $60 on the river to see the guy
had made a set of 9’s on the turn to beat my
flopped set of three 7’s.

I also flopped the King high flush
vs. an Ace high flush vs. a flopped straight.
Flopped straight raises, Ace high flush
moves all in, I folded. Flopped straight calls
and goes broke.

This is pretty much how I’ve been running
at holdem since the beginning of March,
but thankfully my reads and instincts have
saved me from destruction for the most part.

A little tip if heading to MGM, park across
the street at the TROPICANA (or NYNY),
either self park or valet, then walk across
the bridge which will bring you directly
into the poker room. If you park at the MGM
self park lot, you’re in for a very very long walk.

No comments: